Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Game of Thrones...

ok Facebook page is finally up and running!  Don't forget to follow along!

So...you know that project that hangs over your head and every-time you look at it (or in my case sit on it) you think "what the heck... finish that already".  Well, it took me 1 year to complete the most simple and cheap upgrade...but I finally upgraded our new thrones!

I found these chairs on Craigslist last year and I just adored the high backs and circular design and they were in great condition.  Best Part - we paid $75 for 5 chairs and 1 captains chair.  (The seller felt bad for us because we were actually trying to buy the table too, but she sold it before we got there.)  
Andy look away now...Helpful Tip:  I find that Guilt is a great negotiation tactic, don't be afraid to negotiate on craigslist! 
As you can see the chairs are in great shape...but the dated maroon fabric was a tosser!
Last weekend I found a spool of gray velvet on the markdown rack at Jo-Ann's - marked down to $8/yard.   
(For those of you thinking how the heck do you have time to go to Jo-Ann's...i snuck by after a ragin 3 year old birthday party at Wiggle Works - Savannah was so hooped up on cake she didn't know what was going on!)
And all i needed was 2 yards to cover 6 seats - at $8/yard I was felling like a lucky duck!  Andy got rolling on unscrewing the chair seats while I put Savannah down for the night, then as soon as she was sound asleep I whipped out the staple gun and got busy.

Here are my tips:
Just Cover It - if the original cushion is in good shape...just cover it!  You can also add a light layer or batting for quilts if you need a little extra cushion!
Pull tight and pull often - don't be afraid to use a screw driver to remove and re-staple if it's not right.
Push hard - on the gun to make sure your staples are driving...use a hammer to reinforce if needed.
Scotch Guard - if you have kiddo's it might be worth spraying your fabric for extra protection.

I often find that one reason why I don't jump on a project is fear of making the wrong design choice.  A lot of times when I'm DIY'ing I get drawn to the new trend...but i constantly have to remind myself brighter, bolder and bigger isn't always better! So i was inspired by my favorite store - West Elm - and went for a bit more refined look.

If you just look at this chair you might think BORING...but for the current room decor (curtains are Bold and art is Bright) I really didn't need or want too much of a statement!  
I love the new look and I'm finally feeling like things are coming together in this room!
And the best part of the project - it cost $16 and only took 1 hour!  

One of my favorite part of DIY'ing is seeing and hearing Savannah's perspective on the project, especially since most of them are completed when she is asleep!  We often get a Christmas like response when she wakes up in the morning.  For a 2 year old she is really encouraging and supportive.  It's not uncommon to hear "oh mamma it looks FABULOUS!" and "oh it's BEAUTIFUL!" and if I'm working really hard I get a "congratulations".   

To her these chairs were "Oh it's soooo cooozy!"

Hope this little tut helped anyone wanted to mix up fabrics...I've done more technical re-upholster projects as well (ottomans and wing back chairs) so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask!

- Katie
This Post is Shared on These Linky Parties:


  1. You were maybe a little wise to go with a plainer fabric. I covered my dining chairs in a pretty damask fabric, and now I have to be careful what kind of tablecloth I put on because of clashing.

    1. Such a good point Cynthia! Thanks for reading!
      - Katie


Thanks for posting your comments or questions! Do not be fooled, I read every single one and will respond soon!